Adopted by consensus through the Summit Assembly on December 15th, 2011.
Statement of Purpose and Guidelines
– What is the purpose of a summit?
- To create a sense of community for Occupy across the region.
- To increase inter-occupational communication.
- A chance for a larger group to be more participatory in Occupy across the region.
- A way of mobilizing more people within the movement.
- A way for occupations to share information and experience for the purposes of collaboration as well as autonomous action.
- An opportunity to use observations of the hosting occupation to strengthen their home occupation.
- To discuss operations and implementation of the Occupy movement.
– It is suggested that the Hosting Occupation arrange an event or action during the day prior to the Summit Assembly; this allows the Hosting Occupation to take advantage of the increased numbers that the Summit brings. Examples include:
– The Hosting Occupation is:
- Not required to have a camp.
- By volunteer only.
- Not required to provide food.
- Asked to facilitate the Summit Assembly, but may request assistance from outside of their Occupation, if so desired.
– The Summit Assembly is an Inter-Occupational gathering at 7pm.
- All represented Occupations will have the opportunity to give a report-back from their Occupation.
- This is independent from the Hosting Occupation’s usual General Assembly.
– There will be a Summit scheduled approximately every two weeks.
- Decided by consensus at the 2nd Inter-Occupational Summit at Occupy Flint on November 18th, 2011.
- The Summits will alternate between weekdays and weekends.
– The location of the Summit will be hosted by a different Occupation each time, as:
- an attempt to show solidarity throughout all of Michigan.
- a chance to be exposed to locations outside of Home Occupations.
– Summit locations and dates will always be planned two meetings in advance. This will:
- give notice to all Occupiers wishing to attend and need to make arrangements.
- give the Hosting Occupation notice to make arrangements for the Summit.