OCCUPY FOR ALL DEC. 1 MEETING NOTES

Occupy for All, December 1 Meeting Agenda

Introduction to Meeting:

  • Call to Action – thanks for reading Denise!
  • Introduce Facilitation Team
    • Kat and Chelle – facilitation
    • Maggie – note taker
    • Nathanael – stack
  • Intros of Attendees
    • Kent – O4A participant from beginning; passion
    • David – OAA is home Occupy
    • Joe – OAA is home Occupy, days before eviction was in Liberty Plaza in OWS
    • Sarah – went to school in A2, old school liberal; excited for Occupy! Has space on South Main to contribute – support Public Meetings that are open to public
    • Joshua – EMU grad, want to contribute in best way possible
    • Denise – into Occupy by interwebs, first GA in DTW, OAA is home Occupy – but O4A is what she envisioned
    • George – work at UM Med School; went to first OAA GA; thinks O4A is where its at
    • Chuck – old time liberal; supports Occupy; works at Med Center – sees ppl that are affected
    • Monica – from Ypsi; blogger, blogging is great! Reach Out Job Search News/Radio; covers MI politics and jobs; has covered OAA, OD, OL and is now covering OY; wants to see mvmt go forward
    • Helen – point person for medical for OD; ran medical tent and coordinated with nurses; aids affinity group at 5900 – going to start women’s clinic that she originally wanted to begin – wants to get communications system up and get ppl working together and communicating
    • Nathanael – 2 month anniversary of trip to OWS – was on Brooklyn Bridge; OWS wasn’t just about holding down space, but what you do in that space – groups collaborating is important; wants to recreate that in whatever way possible
    • Steve – in 1959 crossed Brooklyn Bridge to UN building to protest nuclear armament; when Occupy started he was/is right there
    • Chelle – always had a problem with authority, down with civil disobedience; anarchist affinity groups – developing community kitchens, understands horizontal decision making process; marketing major, worked at women’s center – most of the time with O4A; wants to work with media
    • Maggie – note taker
    • Kat – goofus loves O4A

Intro to Process

  • Go over hand signals – Kent (and everyone!)
  • Review Agenda, plug ins, vibes check – Nathanael
    • In the past we have discussed autonomy, consensus; committee vs working group
    • Today is discussion on agenda
    • Work-shopping agenda template – we use for all meetings and we plug info in:
      • GROUP MEMORY– hits points that we covered last mtg;
      • REPORT BACKS – working groups or individuals get on stack to discuss PAST oriented things – recap of what you have been up to – NOT open for discussion, just a report!
      • SPECIAL TOPICS – bulk of meeting – things that require discussion/consensus – things that effect everybody as a whole; good time for proposals – and proposals may come from this which is discussed;
      • ANNOUNCEMENTS – more future oriented things; you are just announcing, no feedback, not temp check, no discussion – “this is what I’m’ doing” – if you have idea for project or working group, you can seek out volunteers at this point;
      • NEXT STEPS – note taker will go over agenda and will go through and pull out names and insure accountability for things proposed

Group Memory

  • Review the last Action Assembly – Maggie

Report-Backs

  • Black Friday Action – Chelle (and others)
    • 22 people showed up
    • Mic check in wal mart
    • Mixed response from store attendees
    • No arrests
    • Handed out business cards – had more in depth info about the script
    • Link to video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBaXZQmGAk&feature=channel_video_title
    • Video also posted onto Democratic Underground
    • Several other protests were videoed and posted – we were good, very well organized; formidable presence; NLG lawyers
  • Somebody Arted – Nathanael
    • Friday – number of ppl went to Vets Park
    • See occupyforall.wordpress.com for photos (you’ll have to scroll down)
    • We gathered a bunch of junk (olive oil cans, cardboard, spray paint etc.) and created art work; sidewalk chalk
    • It was really cool!
    • Niel is head of project – on going project, #OccupyHappiness project
    • http://www.somebodyarted.wordpress.com
  • Lansing Trip – Kent
    • Autonomous group went up to Lansing
    • Inter Occupational Summit is on Saturday (last one was Flint, roughly 60 ppl showed up)
    • Wanted to check on their camp (kitchen issues)
    • Still standing strong, still strong group of ppl
    • We came in during their GA, great experience, dropped off supplies – supporting us and we support them!
    • If you have a chance, go to other Occupations
  • O4A Facilitation Workshop – Denise
    • After DA meeting
    • Facil meeting – it has become apparent to some of us that we need to know facilitate better
    • Colleen – professional facilitator – entire career on teaching people how to do workshops etc.; she can be thanked for this agenda template!
    • Agenda was worked on in great detail at this meeting
    • We agreed to meet and build expertise – soon every body will be able to facilitate
    • Café Ambrosia – Sunday at 4 after OAA GA there will be another facil training mtg
    • Tuesday at 8 – general facil workshop; discussion of process
  • U of M’s 1st GA – Maggie
    • Came in late, so missed facilitation introductions
    • A bit of a rough start, needs tightening up
    • But at LEAST 40 people were there, and there were many very passionate people – extremely encouraging!
    • Already actions are being planned for Dec. 7 at Mason Hall – teach in/speak in   as well as on Dec. 13 – disruption of the Regents meeting
    • There will be a planning meeting at 2PM at Café Ambrosia Saturday for the Dec. 7th action
    • [I will post the contact information once I find my note book]
  • OAA Facilitation – Maggie
    • The Facilitation meeting went well
    • 4 people attended
    • discussed the same ideas that we did during the facilitation training – process and agendas
    • less than 3 hours, so short and sweet, but very productive
    • OAA GA is Sunday 1PM at East Quad in the Benzinger Library:  http://www.facebook.com/events/253317391388914/
  • Tri City Conference Call – Kent
    • Saginaw, Bay City, Midland – slightly detached from Flint, Lansing, DTW, A2
    • Young groups, learning, doing great work
    • Offered services
    • Spoke on the phones to some of them
    • They want us to go up there and to come visit
    • About 10 people dial in, 9PM EST Monday is a regular dial in – number will be posted, free call
    • Good way to find out what they’re doing
    • Having same problems that many occupations are doing – really want help, whatever we can provide
  • Website – Nathanael
    • WordPress site! Updated regularly!
    • Reports, announcements, calendar etc.
    • If you know an event, send it to us! We want to be as thorough as possible
    • We always want people to contribute
    • Eventually want to transfer to occupyforall.org site – if you have those skills, talk to Nathanael
    • Occupy4all.org acts as hub that has links to all our sites (twitter, FB, wordpress, Tumblr etc.)
    • Helen – additional report back
      • DTW medical  – it has fallen to wayside, everyone has dispersed
      • If anyone has contacts to medical, need clinical who has prescriptive rights and TB supplies – nurses will do tests, but no supplies to do tests (there was an outbreak during occupation)
      • O4A if you know someone who can fill these needs, and you can fill their needs (like, babysit for them etc.)
      • POI: Not a simple thing – malpractice issues; is someone willing to risk getting into trouble? Other ways of getting around this issue

Special Topics (things requiring discussing, consensus, etc.)

  • Inter-Occupation Outreach – Kent
    • Upcoming Summit hosted in Lansing – This Saturday, Lansing! Dec. 3rd – as many “reps” from Occupies – if you want to be part of it there are ride shares – Summit is check in, Mass-Community building!
      • First was in Hazel Park – DTW, A2 attendees
      • Last one was in Flint – DTW, A2, Lansing, Alpena attendees
      • Direct Action is at noon, OL is planning it, hopefully info tonight or tomorrow
        • March to capital? Mic Check karaoke?
  • Summit is at 7PM
    • We want Summits to get bigger and bigger!
    • Communication is important!
    • Additional IO topics – DTW, Flint, Lansing – they are all camping out in Winter; if aiding these camps interests you, contact Kent – he has “Occupy Phonebook” – if you are interested in finding point people at some of these camps, help Kent! If you are interested in getting rideshares together, delivering supplies etc., getting on conference calls, please don’t hesitant to get involved!
      • If you know people elsewhere, outside of Michigan, don’t hesitate to get in contact with them!
  • TV appearance/outreach approach – Kat
    • Contacted by Community Television (CTV) looking for people involved in occupy to be involved in show
    • Opening in December for filming – for sharing info etc.; get in contact with Kat or occupyforall@gmail.com
    • Might be really good for us
    • Pre-scheduled program, so it would be at a specific time slot; anyone to talk for 5 minutes: will be edited (but not censor) into a compilation
    • Vibes check on people being involved in media? Approval
  • Tom’s TV project/Indie Media – Chelle
    • Working with Tom who has equipment
    • Willing to teach people to use it
    • Be on CTV – but use our equipment means we keep copyright
    • If we use their equipment they have copyright
    • As members of A2 we each have right to half hour of TV every year (one half hour every 6 months)
    • CQ: if we have our own content we can put it on Internet? Yes! We have control of it
    • Contact Chelle  chelleybelly729@yahoo.com
  • Occupy Ypsi &/or Occupy EMU – Nathanael
    • Occupy Ypsi is having a teach in next Saturday, Dec 10 at Woodruffs (on site) – FB event :
    • http://www.facebook.com/events/284136958295021/
    • They had a black Friday action – met at water tower
    • We are developing contacts with them – they are just developing, just starting out
    • Occupyypsi.tumblr.com
    • Advertising it on O4A wordpress site
    • If anyone can find out more info, please let us know!
  • Joe – did anyone see the YouTube video of Occupy Bat Signal (on O4A wordpress)
    • Can duplicate it!
    • Has slide projectors – more portable, less finicky about power source
    • Wants it to be in conjunction with other events
    • Wants help! Contact Joe – sign up sheet went around
      • Monica: use of park? No, we need to find place, where, when?
      • Nathanael: OAA DA might be good connection (Denise); OUM is also planning events
      • Joe – New Years event?

Announcements – (future activities/actions/stuff/new working groups/autonomous actions)

  • Sunday School of Organizing – Chelle
    • Café Ambrosia – Tom will be teaching Organizing
    • 3 pm
  • Occupy UM Direct Action planning meeting, 2pm Sat Ambrosia – Nathanael
    • Regents meeting planning
    • Regents are very “one percent” very establishment!
    • Dec 13 meeting- planning is at 2PM Sat
  • Screenings of Democracy Now – Nathanael
    • Radical news show
    • Good news source
    • Amy Goodman, Julian Assange, Cornel West, every single lefty you could love
    • Nathanael wants to start screening this, in coffee shops if possible
    • Get in contact with Nathanael (occupyforall@gmail.com)
  • New Language Dictionary + Upcoming Language and perception teach in – Kat
    • We’ve been talking about how language talking about perception of things
    • Example: “Tribal Summit” issues  à “Inter-Occupy Summit”
    • Sensitive to issues of miscommunication
    • Occupy Lingo Wiki – understandings and definitions
    • If interested, let Maggie or Kat know (Maggie email: mrgrtbt@gmail.com)
  • Alternative Personal Care workshop – Kat
    • Alternative personal and home care workshops
    • Learn to clean your house without chemicals
    • Facial scrubs, etc.
    • Removing money from big beauty companies that make people feel bad
    • Interested in contributing or coming to workshops, info will be on site
  • Winnebago – Chelle
    • After visiting Flint we saw that they have solar powered things, including an RV
    • We found Winnebago that runs, $2000 OBO, should we find out how to raise money?
    • Issues with names, insurance, registration?
    • Big enough to move people and supplies
    • Turn it into community graffiti project
    • Anyone interested in helping out with this?
  • Denise
    • Protest eviction of woman in DTW
    • Tuesday
    • We have been looking into preventing foreclosure process, fight control of banks
    • 5-8 PM
    • Similar action in Atlanta – people camped out on property with tents, whole neighborhood supported them, and they stopped foreclosure from happening
    • CQ: on occupyforall wordpress; occupy Detroit, event page
    • http://www.facebook.com/events/205367419543933/
    • POI: In Ypsi there are places
    • Monica
      • Advocating for continuation for unemployment benefits
      • Congress will be debating on bill for unemployment be shortened from 26 weeks to 20 weeks ß law passed earlier this year
      • In order to pass this bill, we need to put pressure on congress
      • There will be more information
      • Another bill HR 589 – extends unemployment benefits that have exhausted all forms of unemployment
      • Pressure representative
      • You can find out more info:
      • Reachoutjobsearch.com
      • Helen:
        • Tomorrow at 6PM potluck at 5900 MI Ave DTW MI;
        • All occupies to come and meet each other, say hi and have a good time
        • Also, women’s group through DTW – Free women’s clinic
        • Capable of breast exams, PAP smears, STD testing, whatever you need done – they will go to your home
        • Need money and support!!! For lab testings etc. – anyone who needs care, or has money to donate, let Helen know
        • 734 657 0259
        • motherearthmidwife@yahoo.com
        • For people uninsured or without access
        • Nick
          • Starting student org at EMU
          • SEEP
          • Fundraising on campus, in formulation
          • Non-profit, donations etc. to fundraising for orgs
          • Also looking for DAs to participate
          • ncoffin@emich.edu
          • Kent
            • Taking autonomous trip to Lansing – may also turn into trip to Flint as well
            • Convoy, and ride giving
            • Accepting gas-money!
            • Interested in visiting, setting up for summit, later in afternoon (3 or 4) until evening (10 or 11)
            • 734 478 7048 (in class 11-2, so you won’t be able to contact him)
            • Kat
              • Speaking on behalf of Lindsea – she was at OWS and Occupy Philly
              • Coordinating Inter occupy Dance party
              • Currently post-poned bc she’s been out of town
              • Details will be available soon
              • Sometimes it’s fun!
              • Info on site once we have it
              • George
                • Starting next month going to different camps
                • Blues musician!
                • Wants for musicians to meet and turn into the Occupy version of USO!
                • (Great response from crowd!)
                • Next Steps
                  • Recap of the above
                  • Closing
                    • OCCUPY FORALL.WORDPRESS.COM
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s